Sunday, April 18, 2010

Carmela Soprano's La Pastiera, Anna Sultana's Qassatat ta I-Irkotta (Small ricotta pie, Maltese Style)

There was one more Easter recipe in Entertaining with The SopranosLa Pastiera, also called Pizza Gran and/or Easter Dessert Pie, was another cheesecake in a latticed crust.


I had some candied citron and orange peel left over from making hot cross buns, so I figured I'd go for it.  

What is it with Carmela's fillings?  This cheesecake called for 4 ounces of hulled wheat.  In the cheesecake, not the crust.


No, I'm not going to make any comments about ingredients in cheesecake recipes.


Deciding this would be a learning experience, I bought some hulled wheat.  Maybe it's supposed to help keep us regular.  Her dough was another artery clogger with 3 eggs.  The filling calls for another 4 eggs, so you get the idea.  If that scares you, too, go to my pie crust recipe.  Carmela's a killer in her own way.


Ma's Qassatat ta I-Irkotta - small rikotta pies - are a lot simpler to make.  And healthier.  For a half dozen, you need 2 eggs.  Okay, to be fair La Pastiera uses 470 g of ricotta, while Qassatat uses 250 g.  But still...  another 3 eggs in the crust? 

Qassatat are also easy to pack and serve at picnics.    


La Pastiera was no big whoop.  I wouldn't make it again.


No, I'm not going to make any comments about ingredients in cheesecake recipes.


Another recipe down.  Sixty-six more to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.