Saturday, August 20, 2011

Anna Sultana's Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes and Bacon, Maltese Style

I guess I'm my father's daughter.
My yard isn't complete unless I'm growing a few vegetables.
Especially tomatoes.

But, I'm also my father's daughter in that I'm annoyed at the fact that, just when they're red and ready to eat, tomatoes are at bargain prices in the stores.
Isn't that always the way?


Funny thing about most tomato sauce recipes.
They usually call for canned tomatoes.
Oh, well, it's one way to use up what you bought on sale before buying the 2011 crop.

Ma's tomato sauce uses fresh tomatoes.
Perfect for this time of year.


                              Tomato Sauce 

Chop
1 small onion
1 carrot
1 slice bacon

In a medium saucepan place
2 tablespoons butter
Heat and add the chopped items.
Cook for about 5 minutes.

Add
6 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 bay leaf
Simmer for 10 minutes.

Blend together
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Cup water
Stir into the sauce. 

Add
pinch of sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If too thick, add a little water.
Serve hot with meatballs, pasta, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.