Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Carmela Soprano's Roasted Pepper Salad / Broiled Pepper Salad

Even Janice Soprano has a salad recipe in her Sunday Dinner chapter 
in Artie's The Sopranos Family Cookbook.
I know, Janice doesn't look like she would like salads.
But, maybe it was from her Hippie days.

I also find it a little hard to believe this was a recipe from Livia.
From what I remember of the 50s, green peppers were the only ones available.
But, I'm not going to argue with Janice.

I do remember my Ma using a large fork to hold a pepper and roast it over a gas flame.
Ma also sometimes toasted bread by placing it on the grill above the gas flame.
Those where the days when toasters were 'one size slots fit all'.
More often not.
But, I digress...


If you use a combination of peppers, the colors will make this a festive dish.
The recipe serves 8.
You can either adjust the numbers or place the leftovers in the fridge.
They are marinating, after all.


                        Roasted Pepper Salad

Serves 8

Have the broiler set up so that the peppers will be 3 inches from the heat.
Cover a broiler pan with foil.
Place on the pan
8 large red, yellow or green bell peppers
Turn the broiler on high.
Broil the peppers, turning them frequently, until they are charred all over.
Put the pepper in a large bowl, cover with foil, let cool.

Place the peppers on a plate so you do not lose the juices.
Cut the peppers in half.
Pour the juices into a bowl.
Peel the skin off the peppers and discard the seeds and stems.
Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1-inch strips and place them in a serving bowl.
Strain the juices over the peppers.

Add to the peppers
1/3 Cup extra virgin olive oil
6 fresh basil leaves torn into pieces or 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Let marinate at least 30 minutes before serving.


Would I make Roasted Pepper Salad again?
Sure, but I do miss my old gas stove.
Broiling just isn't as much fun as watching the peppers cook over a flame.
It was like making S'mores.
But, I digress...


One recipe down.  Fifty-six more to go.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.