Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Anna Sultana's Spongecake with Lemon Cream Filling, Maltese Style


Well, the sky was overcast on February 2.
Various rodents throughout North America didn’t see their shadows.
So, with any luck, it will be Spring in six weeks.
I sure hope they were right.

I don’t know what it is about cloudy skies.
I crave lemons... in my drinks, in my meals and especially in my desserts.
Maybe I just need something round and yellow.
Whatever… I need to make lemon desserts.

About five years ago I posted two custard recipes:

Needless to say, Ma’s recipe is easier.


This recipe of Ma’s is even easier.
And it has lemon pie filling in it.
Need I say more?


Hints:

Sponge cakes are usually sold in pairs.
This recipe calls for four layers - that’s two packages.

This dessert also works with canned pie filling.
Or homemade, if you have the time.

This recipe makes a dessert large enough for a family get together.
If you’d like something smaller, just make it with:
one package of sponge cake (two layers)
one package of lemon pie filling & dessert mix
one half tub of whipped topping
Cover each layer with half of the lemon cream filling. 


                        Spongecake with Lemon Cream Filling

Prepare 
2 packages of lemon pie filling & dessert mix as per package instructions
Set aside to cool to room temperature.
Fold in
1  1-quart tub of whipped topping

Place in a deep bowl
1 8-inch sponge cake layer

Spread over it
a thin layer of apricot jam (optional)

Top with 
1/4 of the lemon pie / whipped topping mixture

* Place another 8-inch sponge cake layer on top of the lemon cream filling.
Cover with a layer of jam (optional) and 1/4 of the lemon cream filling.
Repeat from * two more times.
Cover and refrigerate.

Easy, no?


About the sky this week…
According to the Farmers Almanac:

February 4 is the midpoint of winter, the halfway point between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox.

On February 6 look to see a very thin waning crescent Moon forming a broad triangle with Venus and Mercury this morning, the Moon hovering about 4° above both planets. Mercury also reaches greatest elongation on this morning, 26° west of the Sun.

On February 8 there’s a New Moon at 9:39 a.m. It’s completely invisible.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Margaret:)
    I too crave lemon for some reason more in the Winter than any other time of year. Perhaps it symbols sunshine in our eyes:)

    This Spongecake sounds divine. I would ask for you to save me a piece but I'm sure it's been thoroughly enjoyed by now:)

    Not to worry, I baked a first time lemon dessert tonight that I found on Pinterest. You won't believe this Margaret, the recipe calls for two ingredients. Lemon Cream Filling and Angel Food Cake Mix. You dump the box of cake mix in a bowl, add the lemon pie filling, mix it up really really good, bake it at 350 in a parchment lined 13x9 pan for 30-40 minutes and Wah La, it's done! It was so good I can't believe it. Something between a sponge cake and a pudding cake. I can't even figure how it would work but indeed it did! (the recipe didn't call for it but I had a bit of low fat sweetened condensed milk left in the frig so I added it too. I figured, what the heck! I haven't taken a picture of it yet but I will and I plan on posting about, eventually, lol...

    Sorry to go on Margaret, I got excited about seeing your cake and remembering mine, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Louise!
    Maybe it’s a variation of seasonal affected disorder. I like the milder winter weather, but I miss our bright blue skies. I need yellow :)

    Love the recipe you shared. Thank you for sharing! By lemon cream filling do you mean a can of lemon pie filling? I’d love to try it.

    I should do a series on really simple recipes. Who has the time to do things like Carmela Soprano's Zuppa Ingles. (And why don’t I believe she made it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret:)
      I'm thinking maybe the groundhog is confused, lol...We finally got our share of snow and it's getting pretty darn cold this weekend.

      As for the pie filling, yes, Margaret, caneed pie filling. I had a can of Lucky Leaf Lemon Pie filling on hand. Next time I'm going to try Comstock. I'd love to know if you make it and whether you enjoyed it.

      Simple recipes sounds like a promising series. It's not so much about time as it is about being yummy though.

      Have a GREAT day, Margaret!

      P.S. here's the link to the recipe I used:
      http://rachelschultz.com/2012/09/23/two-ingredient-lemon-bars/

      Delete
  3. Hi, Louise!

    We had red skies this morning, so it looks like we'll be getting more snow. I feel sorry for the crews clearing the streets - they start today, after the snow we just got, and now it's going to snow again.

    Thanks for the info on the pie filling. Our stores carry E.D. Smith and store brands. Probably all owned by the same super company :)

    Hope this is the last of winter and it starts warming up for us all!

    Stay well and warm,
    Margaret

    Here's a dump cake I posted a while ago. It uses crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling and cake mix. There are also variations with other fruits and cakes
    http://imturning60help.blogspot.ca/2012/05/dump-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are heading for the coldest weekend of the season Margaret and yet, no snow on the ground, thank goodness, we've been soooo lucky:)

    I'll be checking out that dump cake as soon as possible. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.