Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eat Pray Love in Winnipeg- Being 60 (week 16 - by Margaret Ullrich)


This year's big chick flic is Julia Roberts' Eat Pray Love.  Last year I saw Julie & Julia and decided to try my hand at blogging.  

Can I get guidance from Julia Roberts' latest movie?

Well, why not?  

Can that be any worse than when the ancients examined animals' internal organs for guidance?  And they were paid professionals, seeking guidance for kings and countries.  They actually made their living from staring at livers and such.

I'd rather look at a movie than an intestine.
  

Julia shouldn't get all the credit for Eat Pray Love.  It was originally a book, as was Julie & Julia.

Julie & Julia sparked renewed interest in Julia Child's recipes, with her "Cholesterol be damned" butter overload.  That just lead to buying a cookbook.  Or going to a library.  Or just watching reruns of Julia Child on PBS.  

Eat Pray Love is like a Disney cartoon for adults.  There are tie-ins all over the place: kitchen appliances, clothing, jewelry, furnishings and candles.

In other words, with the right props, I, too, can be enlightened.

Or at least look like I'm as enlightened as Julia.


Hmmm...  Maybe this isn't as straightforward as jumping into blogging.


I'm turning 60.  
Time for a review of my life.  Where I've been and where I'm going.  

But, to paraphrase the  message from another classic movie, The Wizard of Oz, maybe everything I need is right here in my own back yard.

Maybe I don't need to buy all the tie-in junk, too. 


Well, maybe the candles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.