Sunday, October 3, 2010

Carmela Soprano and Anna Sultana Use Fresh Tomatoes / Carmela Soprano's Bow Ties with Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella


I admit it.  I have tomatoes on the brain.  

Also in my laundry basket, on our spare bed (sandwiched between layers of newspaper so they'll ripen slowly) and on my kitchen counter.

I can take a hint.
Time to eat some tomatoes. 


Now I know Carmela doesn't garden.  How could she with that honking big pool in her yard?  And that deck where they throw the parties...  
Oh, well, I'm sure she does other things to fill up her time.
Like looking for money in the bird seed bin.

But there must be times when she has to cook up some fresh tomatoes.  
I mean how many salads can a person eat?
Looking at Tony, not many.


Back to Carmela's Entertaining with The Sopranos.  Fresh tomatoes... Fresh tomatoes...  

Well, she starts with fresh tomatoes, then turns them into a sauce.  Okay.  Good enough.

Bow Ties with Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella. 

The sauce is easy and ecologically friendly:

4 chopped ripe New Jersey beefsteak tomatoes (Yeah, right)
1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves (Give me a break)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine and let stand at room temperature up to 2 hours.
Toss with a pound of cooked pasta.
Add 8 ounces diced mozzarella.
Serve immediately.

Don't get all crazy about the Bow Ties bit.  What you got, you got.
Ditto for the fresh basil.
Likewise for the tomatoes.


Did Ma make room-temperature tomato sauces?  Nope.  

I don't know why but Maltese recipes like to apply a lot of heat to food.  Not spicy.  Just cooked.  Served hot.  Sometimes cold.  Mostly hot.

Did Ma serve fresh tomatoes?  Yes.  Quartered and sprinkled with oregano.  Not a sauce on hot pasta.  As a side dish.  We'd help ourselves to them.


Would I make the room temperature sauce again?  
Sure.  Easy is good.
I prefer a teaspoon of oregano.


Another recipe down.  Forty-three more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.