Monday, December 13, 2010

Chop That Tree (part 1 - by Margaret Ullrich)

God, it was cold.

I didn't know it could get that cold.
I didn't know I'd ever be stupid enough to be outdoors in that kind of cold.
I didn't know I'd been stupid enough to marry someone stupid enough to work with people stupid enough to be out in that kind of cold.

It was our first December in Winnipeg.


Paul and I had grown up in New York City.  There people went to an empty parking lot where the trees had magically appeared, like the ground beef at the local supermarket.  No questions asked.  No one wanted to get too personal with an ornament.  

At the New York parking lot we'd browse, find a tree we liked and switch the price tag with the cheaper tree which no one liked.  Then we'd carry the tree to the clerk, who gave us the fish eye as he noticed the fullness of such a "good find", sighed and took our money.  The whole deal was done in ten minutes.  Another Christmas had begun.

Apparently, that isn't good enough for Winnipeggers.  Oh, no, they have to get down and dirty with their holiday bushes.

part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.