Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Late Lent - Being 60 (week 45 - by Margaret Ullrich)

Here we go... another Lent.
It's a bit late this year.
Easter's not until April 24.
A week before my 61st birthday.

It's a little weird having Easter and my birthday so close together.
Lent is a time to take stock, to make changes in one's life.
The original time to make resolutions.
To see the 'Big Picture'.
This year it's a little bit more.
A last minute wake up call before another birthday comes.

I can't believe how quickly this year went.

It's been a year of change.
I've become more computer savvy.
Who knew I'd be facebooking?
Who knew I'd have 2 blogs in the top 100 at Bloggerstats?
They're being read by folks around the world.
I even joined LinkedIn.

My writing is coming along.
One of my stories is being published this month.
In an American literary publication.
I was invited to come to the launch and read my story.
I had to get a passport.
My first.

I got funding for the trip from both the Winnipeg Arts Council and the Manitoba Arts Council.
After I read my story at the launch, I'm supposed to thank the two government agencies for their support.
Like the British fellows did when they accepted the Oscar for The King's Speech.
I'm now an international author.

Aren't I supposed to be winding down?


When I went to get our prescriptions filled last week, the pharmacist's assistant - a sweet girl - told me that I could look up information on our medical conditions on a computer.
Then she asked if I had a computer and if I knew how to google.
Guess I just have that 'sweet little old biddy' look.

Forget Dr. Who.

I'm Clark Kent.
Don't be fooled by my appearance.
You don't know what I'm capable of.

Another Lent.
Time to do a bit of tweaking.
I'm not an old dog.
I can learn new tricks.

Another birthday?
Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.