Sunday, May 1, 2011

Being 61 by Margaret Ullrich


Well, I made it.
I'm 61.
Okay... it doesn't feel much different from being 60.
But, here it is.
Alrighty then... I'm 61.

Last week was Easter.
In case you're wondering about my effort to avoid Facebook 
for the last week in Lent, well, it didn't go so well.


Elisabeth Sladen passed away.
If you're a fan of Dr. Who, she played Sarah Jane.
The most beloved of the Doctor's companions.

Well, I posted about her on F. B. and looked up her obit and a few articles.
Other than that - and a few notices I got through F. B. about events to be posted on my Winnipeg blog - I avoided F. B.

I also read the little black book I had gotten from church.
The pages are small, so I read a week at a time.
In a few days I was done.
Not 100% according to plan, but better than nothing.


Funnily enough, I didn't miss all that much on F. B.
Okay... maybe some folks were busy with their taxes.
In Canada, April 30 is the deadline.
But, maybe, just maybe, the thrill of F. B. is gone.

Maybe some folks decided to cut back on F. B., too.
Maybe some folks decided to help with the upcoming election.
Maybe some folks decided to spend time with real people instead of F. B. 'friends'.


I like what Jay Leno said about Facebook:
Some people brag they have 5000 friends on Facebook.
Sure... try calling them to help you move furniture.


It's the start of a new year for me.

Elisabeth Sladen was about my age.
May she rest in peace.
No guarantee how many years are left.
No guarantee for anyone.

Time to spend more time with people who would come to help move furniture.
Or at least want to help.

I mean, I don't know any spring chickens.
Not anymore, anyway.

Time to spend real time with real people.
5000 friends on Facebook?
Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.