Friday, August 10, 2012

Carmela Soprano's Osso Buco a la Bucco / Braised Veal Shanks (Braised Rabbit in White Wine)

For the most part, I like The Sopranos Family Cookbook.
Artie's Mia Cucina chapter is about his training and his own creations.
It's also a laugh riot with my local butcher.

In May I  tackled Artie's Quail Sinatra-Style.
More or less.
I used cornish hens.
Nobody from the mob dropped by.
And it turned out fine.            

Okay... this recipe calls for veal shanks.
Right.
In this neighborhood I'll never taste real Osso Buco a la Bucco.
My local butcher laughed and directed me to the rabbits.
As a Maltese, I could handle a rabbit.
And I can always use another rabbit recipe.

I cut the rabbit into serving pieces.
Since the rabbit was bigger than the veal shanks, I doubled the other ingredients.
Worked fine.
And I had leftovers for another meal.

If your butcher has veal shanks, thank your lucky stars.
And stop gloating.
                         
       
                        Osso Buco a la Bucco       
       
Serves 4

Spread on a piece of wax paper
1⁄4 Cup flour

Dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess.
4 meaty slices veal shank, about 1 1⁄2 inches thick

In a Dutch oven melt
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Add the veal.
Sprinkle with
Salt and pepper
Cook until browned. Turn the slices and sprinkle with
Salt and pepper
Scatter around the meat
1 small onion, finely chopped
Cook until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes.

Add 
1/2 Cup dry white wine
Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan. 

Stir in
1 Cup peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes or canned Italian tomatoes
1 Cup chicken broth or meat broth
Bring to a simmer.
Partially cover the pan and simmer, basting the meat occasionally, for 1 1⁄2 hours.
If there/s too much liquid, remove the cover and allow the liquid to evaporate.

About 5 minutes before serving, chop together
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 
2 Tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or lemon extract
Stir the lemon zest mixture into the sauce in the pan and baste the meat. 
Serve immediately.


Would I make Osso Buco a la Bucco again?
Sure.
With rabbit.
Works for me.


One recipe down.  Ninety-one more to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.